Bristol Channel Shipping Memories

FREE Shipping

Bristol Channel Shipping Memories

Bristol Channel Shipping Memories

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods


January 2nd. The Swedish schooner “Britannia”, Le Havre to Cardiff in ballast, ran aground at Porteynon in poor visibility. The crew were able to walk ashore at low water. Included in the crew were two pilots assistants off the Cardiff pilot cutter “Surprize” which had foundered off Ilfracombe the previous evening. Nov 7 Violent gale over Great Britain and Ireland, great destruction of life and property, especially at sea; 114 lives saved by lifeboats. October 29th. The Nova Scotian brig “Henry”, Quebec for Penclawdd with timber, stranded off Whitford. The vessel was badly damaged but her cargo kept her afloat allowing her crew and passengers to get ashore. The passengers were the crew of the “Hibbert”, a London vessel, whish the “Henry had found waterlogged and on her beam ends in the Atlantic.

The notification requirement applies to UK ships bound for a port located in the UK or another EEA state and non-UK ships bound for a port located in the UK, with the exception of: In 1864, she was en route to Kingston, Jamaica via Madeira from the Clyde, Scotland with an undisclosed cargo and a crew of 40. On 8th January the coastal motor tanker “Candourity”, of London, had engine trouble off Breaksea Point in severe weather. A tug eventually got a hawser to her and towed her to Barry Roads. October 30th, the Whitehaven brig “Hero” was driven from her anchors in a northeasterly gale. The vessel sank near Mumbles lighthouse. The vessel was successfully raised a few days later. The youngest person to swim from Penarth to Clevedon is Gary Carpenter, who in August 2007 at the age of 17, completed the crossing in 5 hours 35 minutes. He held the record for the fastest swim across the Bristol Channel until 2020. Carpenter's coach, Steve Price, was the first person to swim from Penarth to Clevedon, in 1990. [24]In May the schooner “Amelia” of Dartmouth foundered in a gale in the Channel. The crew of four were saved by the Coastguards. April 22nd. The oyster skiff “Sarah & Rachel” sank near the Mixon Pool and both crew members were lost. a b "Windsurfer's accidental crossing". 13 April 2006. Archived from the original on 17 October 2018 . Retrieved 16 October 2018– via

April 5th, the “Nautilus” Bristol from Aberavon, ran onto Kenfig Sands. Three of the five-man crew were saved. The cargo was saved but the vessel was a loss.

The first known crossing of the Bristol Channel (from Swansea to Woody Bay, near Lynton, Devon) by a windsurfer was Adam Cowles in April 2006, [18] apparently accidentally. Other windsurfers have reported making the crossing as a training exercise ( Hugh Sim Williams [19]) or as part of a windsurf around Britain (e.g. Jono Dunnett [20]). The coastguard has stated that windsurf crossings of the channel are dangerous and should not be attempted without appropriate preparations. [18] Walking [ edit ] Lundy Island Marine Nature Reserve". Archived from the original on 12 September 2007 . Retrieved 5 September 2007. The first person to swim across the Bristol Channel was Kathleen Thomas, a 21-year-old woman from Penarth who swam to Weston-super-Mare on 5 September 1927. She completed the swim, nominally 11 miles but equivalent to 22 miles because of tidal flows, in 7 hours 20 minutes. In 2007 the achievement was marked by a plaque on the seafront at Penarth. [21] There is also a plaque at Anchor Head in Weston-super-Mare. The International Hydrographic Organization defines the offshore western limit of the Bristol Channel as "a line joining Hartland Point in Devon ( 51°01′N 4°32′W / 51.017°N 4.533°W / 51.017; -4.533) to St. Govan's Head in Pembrokeshire ( 51°36′N 4°55′W / 51.600°N 4.917°W / 51.600; -4.917)". On 8th April the Belgian ship “ Suzan”, went ashore at Breaksea Point near Barry. Fortunately she was pulled clear by the tugs Eagle and Wardleys.

September 5th. The Swansea based trawler “Picton Castle” was heading for her home port during a westerly gale, when off Oxwich the crew observed a schooner being swamped by heavy seas and capsizing. The trawler launched her boat and rescued the Master, four crew members and the ships dog from the “Esperance”, which had been bound for Swansea from Boulogne with a cargo of pitwood. The Indian Prince, of Bristol, with a cargo of sugar, rum, cotton, ebony and ivory, from Guinea, went aground at Stout Point, Llantwit Major. The cargo was looted freely by the local people.On the 31st August the ketch “Trebiskin”, of Padstow, Cornwall, became stranded on Cardiff Grounds and the Barry lifeboat (John Wesley) was launched but a change in the wind allowed the three man crew of the Trebiskin to refloat her. On October 21st the MV “Actuosity”, went ashore at Colhugh Point between Aberthaw and Llantwit Major. Her engine room and fore hold were flooded. With the fall of the tide, however, she was refloated and a massive salvage operation began, which lasted until December of that year. There was outrage at the time, because of the number of casualties that were female nurses and - as far as British sources are concerned - there were no weapons on board,” he said. November 8th, the Swansea pilot cutter “Friends” was swamped after returning to Swansea after landing a pilot. A southwesterly gale was blowing at the time. The assistant and two boys were lost.The following day the gale veered to the north and increased and ten vessels were driven ashore at the Mumbles. October 10th. During another gale the barque “Jane Boyd” of Aberdeen, parted her cables off the Mumbles and collided with the “Frances”, Valparaiso for Swansea with copper ore. The “Frances” was holed and sank off West Cross. The twenty crewmembers were landed at Singleton by the vessels longboat. The vessel was raised on Christmas Eve and successfully berthed in the harbour.

  • Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns


Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop